Saturday, April 30, 2011

How far is too far?

I respect and appreciate the changing nature of society and what it means to be young today.  I know that we are all surrounded by not only violence but controversial topics and media - more so than ever before.  But at what point do we say enough is enough?  At what point do we say this isn't appropriate?

I think I've reached that point with the news of an upcoming video game called School Shooter: North American Tour 2012 - a project by Checkerboarded Studios.

I learned about this game via a press release shared in my school district by our superintendent.  This video game apparently allows players to choose their weapon and then "You are free to do whatever you want (So long as it involves shooting people in a school)."

I'm not a gamer.  I don't "get" most of the games out there but I can understand why others are into them, in fact I believe they hold potential for dynamic learning.  What I can't understand, is how violence against children could ever be considered fun, even in a virtual environment.

I encourage everyone to do whatever they can to speak out against video games that encourage, glamourize or depict violence in our schools.

Violence in schools is a PROBLEM, not a game.

2 comments:

  1. Luckily this is only a modification to an available game and not a new product. It's like someone writing foul language in a Shakespeare book and calling it their own. What these people are doing isn't creating a video game, they're just setting up a horrific scenario inside of one to get their 15 minutes of fame any way they can.

    ReplyDelete